Monday, June 15, 2009

The Irreconcilable Difference

I am wearing my Leo socks today in honor of the fact that, while I am sometimes vain and self-focused, I am also deeply, incredibly loving and generous, and often open to the Spirit. My Leo socks will hold my feet dear as I seek ways to hold myself dear and allow my friends to hold me dear on this day when I feel like a layer of my heart has become powder and is blowing away.

Yesterday I was disinherited. This was as inevitable as brush fires in California. Still, I was not prepared for the severing of ties with my parents, abrupt and final as it was after a short foray into truth telling. Both my mother and my father have spoken, and so I, along with my sister, am orphaned. Thank God for my sister.

Here's the thing I will always remember: I told my father that if this was the last time we would ever speak I needed him to know I love him. I told him the truth of my forgiveness and for just a few seconds I saw deep in his eyes the longing to believe and accept it. My poor dad.

He will deny that, of course. He will say I am completely crazy, delusional, brainwashed by "the feminists". I imagine he believes he has to say these things; I know in my heart he knows otherwise.

I let go of my mom years ago. I was washing clothes one day and I imagined her standing at her washing machine and yearning for me as I was standing at mine and yearning for her. Despite everything, we were mother and daughter, loving one another deeply, and yet between us lay a truly irreconcilable difference.

The same difference reared its head yesterday. It is not going to go away. If my parents eventually try to bridge the chasm they just created, I hope I remember that truth telling doesn't just happen one time. It is ongoing, relentless -- devastating.

I am stripping the bed in the guest room, washing the sheets and the towels. The windows are open to dissipate my mother's strong perfume. The soft, rain-laced air is soothing on my swollen eyes.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Prayers surrounding you and bearing you through these days.

Unknown said...

Dearest Laurie,

Oooouuuuccchhh! My heart breaks for you my friend. It also soars and salutes you for your honesty and courage. Truth telling is devastating...and painful and costly.

It is many other things as well, as I am sure you know. May I hold those other things for you until your heart and spirit has room to look at them?

May your socks help your spirit roar and give you strength.

With love,
Elspeth

Laurie Gudim and Rosean Amaral said...

Thanks, Ann. I love and always appreciate your stellar prayers!

Yes, Elspeth. Thanks. Please do!
Blessings & Love, dear friends.
Laurie

Margaret said...

Laurie,
I remember your beautiful mother, smiling, making us sandwiches. I remember your father who cheerfully took us ice skating. It is incomprehensible that anything in this world can tear parents and children apart. I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know I am thinking of you.
Old Friend,
Margaret